Sunday, July 22, 2012

We gots us some chickens

I feel that even before I begin I must defend myself here.  First of all, I am one of the biggest animal lovers you will ever meet.  I call myself mommy to my dog, and I spend hours in the forest looking for tadpoles, frogs, birds and rabbits.  I do, however, love to eat meat- as do most of you!  

Today, which differs from our history, we, as a society, are very disconnected from what we eat.  Chicken- well that's a pale looking chunk of meat in the super market deli, not a feathery creature standing belly high in it's own feces, in a completely dark barn with no room to even turn around.  We don't like to think about where our food comes from, in fear that it may make us uncomfortable.

The truth is, where a lot of our food comes from are very unpleasant places, with very unpleasant practices.  

Take a look at this clip from the documentary Food Inc.


What I'm getting at is that recently Jonathan and I have been trying to think smart about our food.  We try to eat wild game as much as we can, because we know that then we aren't eating steroids, anti-bioctics and countless bacteria from factory like farms.  We try to buy foods that are local, and foods with the fewest amount of ingredients.  One of our favourite quotes is that our food should be ingredients, not have ingredients!  We think logically about marketing gimmicks such as omega 3 and pro-biotics.  Another quote we love is that when buying food, you should consider if your grandma would know what it is.

And our newest endeavour is raising our own chickens!!  With the help of our neighbour and his farm (which is just behind our house), we are now the proud owner of 18 chickens!!  Most people I tell this to kind of look at me like I've lost it.... and say I'll never be able to eat them!!

But I'd pick chickens that were raised humanly and naturally over the birds in that video any day.  They were all once living breathing creatures.

Here are some pictures from our first visit:




Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment