Thursday, April 12, 2012

Easter Recap








Because I have slowly been going insane with cabin fever this last little while, I vowed to make Easter as exciting as possible without exerting too much energy or money.  The success rate of this endeavour is to be determined.

First, I decorated.  After kind of boycotting Valentine's and St. Patrick's Day I figured I needed to festivfy (made up word) the house.  I found the cutest white bunny that ever didn't live at Pier 1, threw some tiny eggs on branches from our wedding and made some yarn balls (which I love so much) in Easterish colours.

Good Friday

The In-laws came over and we cooked them bar-b-q wild atlantic salmon, bacon broccoli salad and ranch roasted potatoes for supper.  

Easter Saturday

Us and the In-Laws enjoyed a weekend brunch of over-night french toast (see recipe below).  Then, we went to visit my family in Cox's Cove, and thanks to a very kind fisherman friend we all enjoyed a proper feast of fresh snow crab.  There is nothing quite as exciting as the opening of crab and lobster season.  

Easter Sunday

As per tradition, Sister and I woke up ready to triumph as we embarked on our annual Easter egg hunt.  We may be 21 and 26 but our mother (pops, the Easter Bunny) still hides eggs and we still find them.  We enjoyed a late dinner of turkey and smoked ham at my Nan's house, and then sat around stuffed and lazy for the rest of the day.

Easter Monday

My mother and I took a road trip to the Northern Peninsula to visit my Nan and Pop Keough, and to also visit my 97 year old Great Nan House.  We enjoyed some spring sale shopping before we went, and I got to see one caribou and about 20 Canada Geese.  

There you have it, about as exciting as my life gets.

Though I didn't take a picture... here is a recipe for the greatest baked french toast you'll ever have:

What to use:

- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon
-1/4 cup butter (melted)
-12 slices of bread (depending on how many sandwiches)
-1 1/2 cup blueberries
-5 eggs
-1 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tbsp salt

What to do:

- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter until smooth.  On the bottom of a baking dish (I used 9X13) spread 1/3 of the mixture.
- Lay 6 slices of bread (or how ever many spices depending on how many you are making) in the dish and cover with another third of the mixture and the blueberries.
-lay the second slice of bread on the sandwiches and cover with the remaining sugar mixture.
-Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt and pour evenly over the bread, patting down just a little.
-Let the toast soak overnight in the fridge, and let it sit at room temperature for an hour or two in the morning
- Bake uncovered at 350F for about 40-45mins or until golden brown and firm.
-Watch out, it's hot!

I sprinkle a little icing sugar and pour some syrup over the top... but you can be creative.


Hope you enjoy!

Tara


1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful! :) The photos are so nice too! Ahh, I miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete