Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ice Fishing Derby Fun

Our winters here in Newfoundland are very long.  Right about now, in other places around the earth, people are getting excited as the first signs of spring come to town.  Here, we are half way through the winter, and are still preparing for the odd snow storm and bracing ourselves for the frosty mornings as we make our way to work.  

So, we have to do all we can to cope.  Some of us go down south; some of us just embrace it and find ways to have some fun in the snow.

Every year we have a Winter Carnival here in the Corner Brook area.  The carnival includes lots of fun things for the kiddies, like skating and sliding, talent shows, community breakfasts, snow mobile races, snow sculpture contests and.... the most fun of all this year... the ice fishing derby!!!

This year the derby was a whole family affair.  I'm not particularly fond of ice fishing but when you have about 150 people on the pond, and add in some hot chocolate and warm moose soup, it somehow becomes fun.  Snowshoeing to the pond with my grandmother was also an added bonus.  

Here is the view of the pond as we snowshoed away.  This pond, Larkin's pond, is one of my favourite places in the world.  Growing up, I spent many hours here with my friends, having fires, catching frogs and relaxing in the rubber dingy.

The eyeless derby mascot.

Here is Jonny.  He made me get up at 9:30 so we could drive to Cox's Cove and he could be there by the 11:00am start time.  He was very dedicated, unfortunately he didn't win (but he caught five fish)

Sister and Nicholas (my cousin).  One looking very bored and one looking very interested.

Mom, Adrianna and I.  Oh, and Danny down in the corner.

Am I more interested in the hot chocolate, or fishing?  I'm not really sure.  I fished for about the total of five minutes.

Measuring the catch.  The biggest fish caught is the winner of the derby.

Mom off by herself, chair and all.  She ended up winning third place!!! 

It was so nice to see all the kids outside enjoying the festivities.  Seeing children doing things like ice fishing always does my heart good.  I guess I'll always be a Newfoundlander at heart.

I can't wait until Spring, although I do have to admit crisp, sunny winter days like this always make me feel refreshed.  

I hope you are enjoying your winter,

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment