Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Top Ten Most Favourite: Things around my house


I am a substitute teacher, and what that means is... sometimes I have to spend A LOT of time at home.  While my pooch is my number one most favourite thing lingering around the residents on a lonely week day, it's nice to be surrounded by lots of things that make you smile.  

I love favourites lists... they are about taking the things you already experienced and laying them all out in front of yourself.  These aren't things you want, they are things that are already you.  It's about wanting what you already have right?

So, my first top ten list is about all those priceless things I have hoarded up at home with me, on cold winter days when work didn't call and on hot summer days while I wait for Jonny to get home and strike up the bbq.  I hope you enjoy my instagram photos!!

1.  My beloved Macbook Pro.  I don't know how I lived with out it.  And, it's true what they say... once you go Mac you never go back!! Ha!



2.  Tree of Life wall hanging from India.  This was a gift from my mom, and was purchased at 10000 Villages.  


3.  1950s sock monkey.  I came across this guy while Jonny and I were honeymooning in Maine.  I fell in love with him instantly and held him very tightly to me as I explored the rest of the antique shop.  The cashier basically had to pry him from my fingers to ring him in.


4.  Wallflower nightlight from Bath and Body Works.  It smells great and helps those that are afraid of the dark when they go to pee during the night.  The best part about it was that I got it FOR FREE during a BBW promotion!!!!


5.  Wooden Cookbook holder from Indigo.  Jonny always gives the best surprises, I really don't know how he does it.  I got this puppy along with a Michael Smith cookbook one year for Christmas.  Maybe he just wanted to make it easier for me to whip him up a gourmet meal.


6.  Handmade owl from the Yukon.  This guy was a wedding present from my very very dear friends Antoine and Patti.  He came all the way from the North West to sit upon my bedroom shelf- and I love him!


7.  My vintage Yamaha.  This guitar has a story, which makes it awesome!  My uncle bought a house in Ontario many years ago, and what should be left in a closet but this lovely sounding music maker.  I inherited it shortly after, being the musically inclined one in the family.  After a little TLC it was in perfect condition, and I will never part with it!!  All I know of it's origin is the name Al painted on the case.


8.  My up cycled thrift store dresser.  It's amazing what a coat of paint and some new hardware can do to a 10 dollar piece of furniture.  I would take this over a "bedroom set" dresser any day.


9.  Vintage desk over looking the front yard.  This desk appeared to us as a dresser in the local Salvation Army, with a 15 dollar price tag.  We bought it as part of our wedding decor, and used it to place programs and birdseed bags on.  Now its a desk, complete with an old school chair, a colourful pier 1 chair cushion and an owl mug pencil holder.  Who could not be happy checking their email in such a spot?


10.  I have a lot of my own artwork around the house, but this tree is my favourite.  My art may not be the greatest, or the most interesting- but looking at it everyday does give me a certain sense of self satisfaction.    Every piece contains a lot of love.  


So there you have it.  10 things that make me smile.  My house may not be the matchiest, the tidiest, or the trendiest- but it's my home, and it is a little bit of the inside of me displayed on my outside!!

Tara

1 comment:

  1. Awww these are all awesome! You are a fantastic blogger, did you know that?! :) Very inspiring and if I didn't know better, I would think you guys lived in some chic Seattle neighbourbood.. :) for real, girl, for real. :) But I'm glad it's NL and not Seattle. And even though we've never met, we're *practically* family (haha) and that makes these posts all the more special! Keep it up! Hello to Jonathan! From the other T&J

    ReplyDelete