Friday, January 21, 2011

The Truth about Setters

Jonny and I thought carefully for years about the day we would finally become parents to a furry friend. We diligently researched our options and weighed the pros and cons of each breed, until we found the one that would fit perfectly with our idealistic lives. After hours of tedious calculations we came up with this: The English Setter. Of course, when we found London on a very nice man's website (search Anzil's Setters), all things technical melted away as her sad little frown and lopsidedly placed spots melted our hearts.
During the next 18 months we realized that you can't judge a dog by it's breed. While London fits wonderfully into our "less then idealistic" lives, we learned you can't always take what the American Kennel Club says as law. This is what I have learned from OUR English Setter:

1. English Setters are NOT mild shedders. On the contrary, my entire life has become consumed with dog hair. I eat dog hair, I sleep in dog hair, I wear dog hair and, from time to time, I breathe in dog hair. Maybe she will shed less when she's older, who knows, but for right now I just have to accept that everything black will be sort of white and everything white will be sort of black.
2. Enlish Setters are happiest when running in the wild


Here is a picture of London and Jonny doing what they both love best- hunting. She may look all nice and calm, posing for the camera, but notice the eyes. She's just waiting to make a great escape!
3. English Setters make the best napping companions, ever!
This is what happens every weekend morning when I get out of bed and London realizes Dad is staying home and sleeping in with her.
4. Toys do not stand a chance with an English Setter

No explanation needed! When she is determined, there is no stopping her.

5. English Setters NEED excercise, or they will make you pay!

6. English Setters like to bark at people walking passed the front lawn

7. English Setters are scared of lots of things- water, half open door ways, garbage cans, and the dark

8. English Setters love you unconditionally!
And I wouldn't trade mine for anything!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I am so glad I came across this post!

    We also have a setter from Anzil. His name is Rufus and everything you typed above is SO true about our guy! I thought that the strange fears were something that only Rufus had (he hates the freezer, vaccume, bubbles).

    We also have a blog for our boy, although it hasn't been updated in quite some time. http://englishmuppy.livejournal.com/

    It's so neat to find someone else with an Anzil English Setter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently rescued a couple of wonderful dogs. I had no particular preference on breed when I went out in search of a new member of our family, in fact, I wasn't really even "searching". We had very recently lost our beloved Rottweiler. I just wanted to go to the shelters to visit with dogs, I thought it may be therapeutic. But low and behold -- that same day, I met not one, but two of our future family members. A wonderful little Bluetick Coonhound girl and an orange English Setter. I met them both and we just "clicked" they looked at me desperately as I left the shelters, as if they knew they were SUPPOSED to be leaving with me. That same day we adopted the Bluetick however, the shelter the Setter was staying at closed too early for my husband to meet him. I was heart broken. I thought for sure by the next time I could make the hour long drive to pick him up (we had to wait 4 days until our next day off), he would be gone. I thought about him, and thought about him, and though about him. I almost didn't make the call. He had to be gone! A sweet, young setter that loves kids?! Plus, during those 4 days, Petco held a special event with all shelters in the area hoping to adopt out more animals by offering the adoption fees at half the price. Why bother? But, the website for the shelter continued to show his sweet picture, so I decided to call and fortunately we brought him home the very next day. He has been a fuzzy, white shedding ball of love ever since. I don't care every time I find a little white ball of fur in a corner of a room, or when I go to work in my dark uniform-- pants covered in white-- whoopsie! I have a fabulous dog at home, sorry!

    I, too, can agree to the fears, I am still learning what frightens him. It's usually something in the kitchen. I'll be working on making something to eat and next thing I know he storms out, running like a fox.

    He is also a big cuddler and needs to be curled up against us and touching us at all times. If we move an inch or a foot, he will wake up and move himself that much closer.

    He such a sweet, precious creature. I can say with absolute certainty-- I am in love with this breed! He is the first of his kind that I have ever met, but he certainly won't be the last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love Setters. We've got 6...

    ReplyDelete